Saturday we went to Ben's baptism which was so fun. He had so many family members there and was so excited. It was pretty cute. Afterwards we headed over to Ami's, it was a housful and somehow we were the last ones to leave. Not sure how that happened but it did. Apparently we were having too much fun and the party left us.
Then I went over the NICU for a little while and was reminded why I do it. When I went into one of the rooms a nurse said to go into a room where the curtain was drawn. I usually don't go in when it's closed off like that because sometimes the mom is sleeping or nursing or something but then nurse went in ahead to make sure all was well and I went in.
In the room there was a young couple with their friend. The mom was so grateful when I said I was from Parent Support she said "Oh, I am so excited, you are exactly who we wanted to talk to, someone who has been here." As we were talking it came out that their baby will probably be in the hospital for a while even though he was a 37 weeker. He's going to get a treatment for a virus that likely caused neurological and developmental problems. Normally I don't talk about my kiddos because the focus is really on these parents and their new babies but I was compelled to share a little bit about Dylan. There were just too many similarities to ignore, the unknown, the rareness of the problems and the lack of support groups. I shared with this mother that even if there were support groups for my daughter I wasn't sure I would want to know because there isn't a lot of positive stuff out there.
Then we talked about the future and how the doctors diagnose problems, and tell parents what they have to, they aren't taught to believe in miracles and exceptions. I just told these parents to take things one day at a time. Focus on their baby's needs now, get him home and then just focus on what's next because you never know about these special little ones. I shared how much joy Dylan brings us and our extended family and assured them that their little guy will do the same for them no matter what his challenges are. These kids write their own books and none of them are alike, or even similar for that matter. It was such a fabulous conversation and she told me that I was the most inspiring person that they have talked to so far. Not necessarily that their son won't have problems, but they were assured that they could handle whatever he had for them. The nurse caught me a few minutes later and thanked me. She said when she heard who I was she knew she had to get me in there since someone from Parent Support was who this family was waiting for.
So now you have it, that's why I do it... I am selfish. I left with such a wonderful feeling knowing that I was able to talk to this family and help them try to adjust to this huge task that has been given to them. Ahhh... I can't get over it really, it makes me want to go back. I am sorry I can only catch a couple families each week and that I rarely, if ever, talk to the same parents twice.
Saturday night I went to Megan's bridal shower over at Kristen's. Dylan and I left the boys at home an went over for the girl party. It was a nice little get away for the two of us and we just chatted it up for a couple of hours. Matt Christensen did their engagement pictures that morning and we should have them by Wednesday. I am excited to see them! I love Matt's pictures anyway but when they are of people I know and love it makes them all the better!
I tried to give Duncan a little fauxhawk this week and it looked terrible. Between the fine hair and his father's hairline it ended up looking more like a white trash mowhawk. Boo! Hiss! Jill told me that it will look better when he has more hair, that boys all start out like this but I can't imagine... I guess I will try again in six months!
I did my Christmas cards this week too, Ami took the picture when we went tree shopping. I just love to do these and baby announcements, it's a throw back to my working days! It keeps up the Adobe skillz if ya know what I mean!
Almost forgot, Dylan's head was infected! Seriously, if it's not one thing it's another with this little girl. I am so glad I took her in! She had a staph infection which her Ped said is a typical hospital infection. Poor kid. Good thing they put her on that antibiotic!
Monday, December 8, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
What you give in the NICU is invaluable and only another parent can give. As someone who works in the NICU, I can support parents and say the same things but "I work there"....so much MORE from you. Thanks for what you do! And....I have someone else I want you to meet with next time you're there PLEASE!! Give me a page next time your in (202-8641). I'm there this Sat (Dec 13). Thanks! Jen (speech therapist)
Thanks so much Jen, glad you're still keeping up with us! =) Pat mentioned someone too, (Twins?) I wanted to go to her class Sat morning but Matthew has something so I don't think I will make it. I am definately going to try to go in early afternoon though so I will give you a call. Yay!
Thank you so much for sharing! I love blogs! There's a dimension to people you rarely get to see. I thought about you today. We were proofing ads and I wished I was working with you! I miss your talent! Happy Holidays!
Shannon,
I always knew you were amazing! Thanks for sharing this experience. So many people turn inward when life gives them challenges but you my dear, are a gem. I lurk at your blog all the time but felt I should comment and tell you how much I admire you!
Much love!
Hi Shannon! I love your blog! It will be nice to keep in touch. This should link you to mine.
Awwe shucks, thanks ladies!
Post a Comment